call us

What to Do If You Are Faced With Disrepair in a Council House

disrepair in a council houseBeing faced with disrepair in a council house can be your worst nightmare; cracked walls, mould, faulty drainage and hazards. Unfortunately, sometimes landlords fail to carry out their duties and do not make the home repairs they are expected to make and leave you living in a property in disrepair; this is true for councils and housing associations also.

If you do find yourself faced with disrepair in a council house there are some steps to follow to help you get the work carried out, as well as claiming housing disrepair compensation for the damage the disrepair has caused you, other tenants, belongings and financially.

Disrepair in a Council House: The First Steps

When you notice a repair that needs doing in your home it is first important to contact your landlord, this is the council or housing association who handles your property. Inform them of the problem and request work is carried out. It is useful to also contact them via email or letter as proof that you have had correspondence with them.

From the time you notice the disrepair keep a record of the damage it caused; this can include photographic evidence of damage to belongings, receipts for new belongings you had to buy and medical reports of any personal injuries.

If the problem is not fixed and your home is still in a state of disrepair, contact them again. Allow them adequate time to arrange and carry out the repairs.

If the repairs are still not made, consider seeking legal help.

Claim Housing Disrepair Compensation

If the council or housing association still fails to carry out the necessary repairs contact us. As a team of housing disrepair solicitors we help you claim the compensation you deserve for the damages caused by the disrepair and the expense it has caused you; plus, we can work to encourage the landlord to ensure the repairs are completed.

When it comes to disrepair in a council house do not delay in seeking legal assistance and claiming the compensation you are entitled to.

Contact us today on 01626 248 608 or begin your claim online.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.