call us

What repairs is your landlord responsible for?WHAT REPAIRS IS YOUR LANDLORD RESPONSIBLE FOR?

What repairs your landlord is responsible for will depend vastly on the signed tenancy agreement you have. A housing disrepair solicitors will be able to review this for you if you unable to understand it.

Joint responsibilities

The landlord is normally responsible for external and repairs to the structure of the building. As a tenant you should be aware of your responsibility for the internal decorations and making sure items like fittings and furniture (if it was supplied with any) are kept in a good condition.

Tenancy agreement

Your tenancy agreement should have a provision in it covering any damage caused by any normal, daily ‘wear and tear’. Before signing any contractual agreement it is a good idea to look over the tenancy agreement. If you do not feel comfortable doing this then we, as housing disrepair solicitors, will be able to offer advice on such a tenancy agreement.

It may be that at the end of the tenancy the landlord believes you are responsible for excessive damage and as a result will retain some or all of the deposit you paid prior to moving in. If you believe this in unfair or actually are simply having problems getting the deposit back at all, then you can contact us. Because of our experience as housing disrepair solicitors we know the issues some tenants face and can advise you on what we can do next, together, to recover the deposit.

Landlord responsibility for repairs

The landlord does need to have reasonable access to the rented property though; this should just be for repairs however. A landlord should not be making visits without your prior knowledge or agreement unless it is an emergency. If the landlord wants to carry out improvements then they need to agree the dates of the work with you. If the repairs needed are so wide ranging that living in the accommodation becomes unviable then you may need to move out. At this point the landlord should provide you with alternative accommodation. It may be, depending on the exact nature of the situation, worth consulting with an independent advisor to ensure what the landlord is suggesting is required is actually valid. Our team of housing disrepair solicitors are happy to discuss and review your situation with you so that you have all of the relevant information and options at hand.

Appliances and installations – for things like water, heating and gas – are all under the landlord’s responsibility.  The state and condition of these types of installations should all be reflected in the tenancy agreement.  If you suffer ongoing problems with them and the landlord does not respond to resolve the issue then contact us, housing disrepair solicitors, as we can engage with the landlord to ensure they do undertake their responsibilities.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.