call us

What is housing disrepair and what are your rights as a tenant?

Housing disrepair occurs when you are residing in a rented property that is in poor state of repair and the landlord does nothing to rectify the problem. In a situation like this, you may be able to file for a housing disrepair claim.

You may be renting from the council, a housing association or a private landlord; the law imposes strict requirements on all landlords to make sure that the property is kept in repair.

Some of the obligations landlords must comply to include:

  • Keeping the structure of the building, including drains, gutters, roofs, foundations and external pipes in good repair
  • Keeping in proper working order the heating system, water, gas, electricity and sanitation
  •  Making sure that serious disrepair or dampness does make the building unfit for human habitation
  • This includes prevention and extermination of vermin infestation which may be prejudicial to the tenant’s health 

A landlord is responsible by law to make sure the state of the property meets a certain standard and is fit for living. If he/she fails to provide and maintain a reasonable maintenance and working order of the structure and installations, you are entitled to file a legal action for housing disrepair.

If repair issues in your home have resulted in damage to your belongings, made you ill, or meant you had to find somewhere else to live, speak to your landlord before filling for legal action. Your landlord may be willing to give you a reduction in your rent, or refund you the costs of your damaged items.

If all attempts fail, the next step is to contact one of our specialist housing solicitors.

They will examine your case and decide if you are eligible for a claim and compensation.

It is worth remembering to keep records of the disrepair and supply us with anything that may benefit your case. This could include receipts, letters/emails photographic or video evidence etc.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.