call us

Understanding repairs in a rented property

What repairs can a tenant be charged for?

A landlord can charge a tenant for damage that is not caused by normal wear and tear such as burns to furniture or walls, holes in the walls or stains to upholstery.

If a tenant wants to make improvements or changes to the property without there being any damage, a landlord cannot charge. 

When moving out it is advised for tenants to ensure that the accommodation is in the same condition it was when the tenant first moved in.  

Urgent repairs vs. routine repairs

Emergency repairs can include:

  • Loss of water or electricity
  • Loss of heating during winter months
  • Gas leaks
  • If the tenant has been burgled and as a  result the door and windows are not secure
  • If there has been damage due to a fire
  • If there has been damage to electrical wiring or installation problems and these are causing sparks or shocks


Urgent repair problems can include:

  • Leaks with the plumbing
  • Damage to the central heating system
  • Minor electrical damage and faults
  • Leaks to the roof
  • Damage to banisters, handrails or staircase.


Routine (non-emergency) repair problem can include:

  • Taps that are dripping water
  • Damage to kitchen unit doors
  • Drains and sinks that are blocked
  • Loss of house keys
  • Damage to house appliances such as dish washers and washing machines


Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.