call us

Problems within student housing

There are a number of problems that can occur with students who are renting an accommodation from a private landlord or through university accommodation. The most common concerns include issues with housing repairs, unpaid bills, getting deposits back or rent. It is advised to get expert advice from a specialist solicitor.


Housing problems                    

Housing problems within student housing include issues with landlords who try to evict students through harassment or physical assault without obtaining a court order. It is recommended to first seek assistance from the housing office from your university or college. Advice can also be sought from specialist solicitors and other independent sources.


Within rented student accommodation, landlords are usually responsible for repairs to the structure of the property, heating, sanitary installations and hot water. The terms and conditions of making repairs are usually set out within the tenancy agreement. A property that is to be rented needs to be safe for its occupants.

 Landlords must insure:

  • The property is fixed with controllable heating and insulation
  • The property has an effective supply of electricity and gas
  • There should be no hazards that could result in an injury
  • The water heating equipment is in working order
  • The property should be free from damp


Bills and Rent

If there is more than one occupant within the student accommodation, both tenants would have signed a joint tenancy agreement which makes both parties liable for any breaches of the contract.

If one of the tenants should move out speak to both the landlord and the tenant to discuss outstanding payments.

Before attempting to replace the tenant speak to your landlord about the conditions of the agreement and to finalise who will responsible for future payments.

Within a private accommodation the law provides tenants basic rights dependent upon the tenancy, such as:

  • A rent book
  • Freedom from an illegal eviction and harassment from the landlord
  • Having a notice period for quitting the tenancy
  • Having due process of law
  • Having rights to claim housing benefit


Getting a deposit back

Landlords can only use the deposit to pay for damage or losses caused whilst the tenant is living within the property and not for basic wear and tear.

In cases where the landlord is holding the deposit at the end of the tenancy contact them to request your deposit back, explaining that you need a written explanation for why the deposit is being held. Ensure to keep all copies of the correspondence.

If the issue is not resolved speak to your student housing office or speak to an expert solicitor.

Problems with the landlord

All tenants have legal protection from illegal eviction. If your landlord is acting in this manner contact your student housing officer at your university, an independent expert solicitor, the Citizens Advice Bureau. Local authorities can also offer advice about tenant rights.

Pests within the accommodation

If during your tenancy you do come across a pest infestation contact your landlord and in cases of severe infestation contact the Environmental Health Agency.

If your concerns are not met, put them in writing and seek professional advice from solicitors

Neighbours and noise

There are a number of ways to avoid conflict with neighbors such as

  • Warning neighbours if a party will be taking place
  • Be mindful of the condition of your house by taking care when parking, driving, putting the rubbish out etc.
  • Joining in with community groups and socializing with neighbours.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.