call us

How to claim against your own landlord for housing disrepair

If your household is in a condition of disrepair, you ought to notify your landlord or letting agent as quickly as possible.

Read who's accountable for different work, and how to elevate your issue if you need to.


  • You're accountable for any minimal repair jobs that are because of normal deterioration.
  • Once the particular landlord or allowing agent is informed, helpful action should be carried out immediately.
  • If the disrepair is leading to you ill health, get in touch with your local environment health department.
  • If your personal home is broken due to the disrepair, you could claim compensation.
  • To support your claim, take pictures of the damage and maintain receipts for anything at all you've had to replace.

Repair and improvement

There’s a substantial difference in between repair and enhancement. Under your landlord’s lawful repairing responsibilities, he is responsible to put your property into restoration in certain conditions, but he is under no responsibility to carry out enhancements.

It’s occasionally difficult to say precisely where to pull the line. An apparent example is windows.

If your real estate has decaying window frames then this is a thing the landlord ought to put right.

Nevertheless, he's under no responsibility to set up double glazing. That would obviously be seen as a development to the property.

If your landlord denies carrying out maintenance that is his obligation, then you have numerous options which are available to you.

Claiming compensation

If your personal home is harmed or destroyed due to the fact of your landlord's failing to carry out maintenance, you can claim compensation.

You might want to claim compensation for clothes, bed sheets or curtains that have already been spoilt by damp or mould.

Or your carpets and rugs and furniture may have already been harmed by water seeping from burst water lines which your landlord hasn't repaired.

You can also claim compensation for house destroyed while repair function was being performed.


To begin your housing disrepair claim, please call us on +44 1626 248 608. A housing disrepair claim can be a complex process. It’s our duty to make it as swift and simple as possible. We make this possible by working with the most experienced and successful solicitors who work solely in this sector.

Upon contacting us, we will examine your case and see if you are entitled to a housing disrepair claim and compensation. We are heavily committed to each case we take on and promise to perform to the highest level in winning you your claim.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.