call us

Housing Disrepair

In law and within contract, landlords have a responsibility to guarantee their properties are in good shape to be lived in, that typically the tenants and any other visitors will be fairly safe from injury and harm to property or home, and that all required repairs(housing disrepair) will be made.

The property or home should not be uninhabitable via disrepair, damp or pests. As far as fittings, it is assumed in the conditions of the Landlord and Tenants Act 1985 that the property owner will be accountable for the servicing. Nonetheless some answerability to reparation other interior fixtures or furniture is reliant on the particular terms of the tenancy agreement.

The landlord has no obligation for things added in to the property by the tenant, which usually the tenant is able to eliminate, nor is the landlord accountable for damage caused by any event or accident judged to be “unavoidable.”

This obligation also extends to any typical area of the property, offering the problem is such that it intervenes with the use and pleasure of the area.

A property or home which was in bad condition before the beginning tenancy time period may be exempt from these responsibilities if the rent has been reduced to reflect this. There is no responsibility on the landlord to increase the overall state of a property which is approaching the end of its life, specifically if it is due to be imminently destroyed or redeveloped.

In these conditions, repairs need not be significant - minor servicing which keeps the property in an suitable state of repair is all that is needed. On the other hand however, increased value properties have been kept in common law as needing a higher standard of servicing and thus a greater amount of problems can possibly be awarded for a fairly minor issue with such a dwelling.

Builders, architects and surveyors have responsibility to those who live in the properties they have worked on. Any kind of workers engaged to carry out maintenance on behalf of landlord are eligible to enter premises to perform repairs. These agents have a responsibility under the Defective Premises Act 1972 to execute repairs to an expert or “workmanlike” basic using “proper materials,” and the property should be fit for profession once the maintenance has been carried out.


To begin your housing disrepair claim, please call us on +44 1626 248 608. A housing disrepair claim can be a complex process. It’s our duty to make it as swift and simple as possible. We make this possible by working with the most experienced and successful solicitors who work solely in this sector.

Upon contacting us, we will examine your case and see if you are entitled to a housing disrepair claim and compensation. We are heavily committed to each case we take on and promise to perform to the highest level in winning you your claim.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.