call us

Housing Disrepair in London

Housing Disrepair in London: What should I do?

Housing disrepair in London can be a problem and with 70% of council tenants suffering with some form of disrepair, it is something that affects many people. If you rent a property you could be at risk of having to deal with disrepair and this can refer to problems with your roof, walls and foundations as well as other aspects of your home.

Landlords are legally responsible, under section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 to ensure that your home is in a good state of repair and is completely safe to live in; failing to complete any necessary checks to your home could see a landlord faced with a housing disrepair claim.

Points to remember:

  • Visitors to your home have the same protection as those that live there and if they suffer an injury due to landlord negligence and disrepair they may also be eligible to make a claim.
  • If your landlord has not carried out repairs, in some cases you as a tenant have the right to carry out the repairs and deduct the cost from rent payments.
  • You do not have the right to stop rent payments for your home if there is a disrepair problem a landlord may have the right to claim for rent arrears.

When making a claim for housing disrepair in London it is advisable to take photos and collect any evidence that highlights the problem in the property and, if the disrepair is not repaired within a reasonable time, a claim can be made.

If you are suffering or have suffered due to housing disrepair in London, contact our specialist team today. By working solely with housing disrepair cases you know your case is being handled by those that know best.

Contact us today on 01626 248608 to speak to one of our expert solicitors, or begin your claim online using our contact form.

Related articles:

Issues with your landlord

Making a claim in rented accommodation

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.