call us

Housing disrepair in council properties

HOUSING DISREPAIR IN COUNCIL PROPERTIESHousing disrepair in council properties is something that no council tenant should have to live with. However, a recent survey has shown that almost three-quarters of council properties in England and Wales are in a state of disrepair.

In fact, 74% of council properties were shown to be in some form of disrepair and a large majority of this percentage were suffering housing disrepair to a critical element of the accommodation. A critical element of the council property has been identified as being the roof, walls or foundations. It is therefore of huge concern that there are such numerous cases of critical housing disrepair in council properties.

Duty of care for councils in managing Housing Disrepair

Landlords, private or the council, do have a duty of care to keep the accommodation in a good state of repair. This extends to the structure, exterior and the interior. Obviously the tenant themselves have a role to play in maintaining the property’s good repair and if they have not, then pursuing a housing disrepair compensation claim may be more difficult. The key amenities – such as the water system and the drainage – are also included in the ‘obligation’ the landlord has in ensuring your council property is well maintained.

Assessing the Housing Disrepair in council properties

The statutory requirements in regards to the above can be found in section 11 of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985. Whether the landlord’s actions in their attempts to maintain the property have broken these regulations is often key to making a successful housing disrepair claim. Our team of housing disrepair solicitors will gather the facts surrounding your case, including any distress, discomfort and inconvenience, and will then be able to assess your case. The damage to the property is assessed and considered over the duration of time which the property has been in that state of disrepair.

If you believe you are living with housing disrepair in a council property then please contact us today for a free consultation with one of our dedicated housing disrepair solicitors. Please call, contact us online or use social media and we’ll arrange a meeting straight away.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.