call us

Disrepair in Council Houses

Living with disrepair in council houses is something that, unfortunately, does happen.  However, like private landlords, councils are responsible for the condition of the properties that they lease so living with disrepair in council houses isn’t something that people have to put up with.

Living with Disrepair in Council Housesdisrepair in council houses          

Just because the council has given you rented accommodation, this doesn’t absolve them from any responsibility in terms the condition of the property.  In fact there is a Government housing standard which requires all social housing (that is housing run by councils and housing associations) to bring their properties up to a certain standard.  The standard is made up of four criteria:

  • housing meets the current statutory minimum standard for housing, as detailed in the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
  • it has reasonably modern facilities and services, for example, a kitchen which is 20 years old or less
  • it is in a reasonable state of repair
  • it provides a reasonable degree of thermal comfort, which means having efficient heating and effective insulation

Using a housing disrepair solicitor

If you have been living with disrepair in a council house then the above should give you some reassurances that there are measures in place to prevent that from happening.  However, sometimes it can be difficult to get councils to act on these housing standards and that is why using a housing disrepair solicitor can be beneficial.  With years of experience in dealing with disrepair in council houses we understand the process required to improve your situation, plus we know who to speak to at the council.  Please contact us today to speak to one of our housing disrepair solicitors for a free consultation on your situation.  

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.