call us

Council Houses with Asbestos

Living in council houses with asbestos affects more people than you might think. Asbestos has been connected to poor health for a long time and while the term ‘asbestos’ is often used, many do not fully understand what it is.
Asbestos is a fibrous material and was used widely as a building material due, primarily, to its cost but also its fireproofing uses. Because of its nature it is also very flexible, this made it ideal for shaping and incorporating into various building formats and products.

Why living in a Council House with Asbestos could be dangerous

Asbestos is only harmful if it is inhaled into the body. This means products which actually contain asbestos are not a problem unless the asbestos fibres get into the air – so, this would mean the asbestos product has been damaged or become worn. The fibres, once breathed in, stay in the lungs and eventually cause damage. It should be stressed that there are a number of building with asbestos in and this causes no harm to anyone. The levels of asbestos fibres needs to be particularly high and you need to be exposed to these for a prolonged period of time.

Housing Disrepair Solicitors can Help

However, as housing disrepair specialist solicitors we have seen, and been involved in, a number of cases involving council houses with asbestos. We have found that many cases of council houses with asbestos involve building materials used from the 1930’s to the 1980’s. If you live in an accommodation built during this time period the there is a high chance there is asbestos present. Our advice would be to leave asbestos materials in good condition where they are, rather than ‘digging’ into them or trying to move them. This not only protects you from releasing the fibres but also, means you don’t have to replace the asbestos materials with an alternative.

Contact us

If you have lived with asbestos in your council house for some time and have noticed a continually problem with poor health, it could be due to asbestos. Obviously your first port of call should be to seek medical treatment but you may also be eligible to make a compensation claim. By speaking to one of our dedicated housing disrepair solicitors you will quickly be informed of the laws surrounding making such a claim, in clear and concise language. With this information we will be able to guide you through your available options. Contact us on 01626 248608, online or use social media to set up your free consultation.

Housing Disrepair Claims

To start your housing disrepair claim today or to find out more about claiming ... or give us a call for free on 01626 248608 and speak with one of our advisers.

No Win No Fee

*No Win No Fee: Our No Win No Fee policy only applies to cases involving council owned properties and those owned by housing associations. No Win No Fee does not apply in cases where the property is owned by a private or commercial landlord.